Skip to main content

First Post!

Hey Kiddies!

I´m making good on my promise to blog on my experience here in Argentina. And this is where its going to be at, so bookmark, remember scribble on that stack of infrequently used stick notes underneath the monitor (Dad) and be entertained.

So I´ve done a week here already. Whoa. I would say that time has flown, but it really hasn´t. It´s been a pretty long seeming week, full of fun and failure of the most publicly embarrassing kind.

There´s been a lot going on, so I´ll save myself the work and just randomly assemble some sort of vignettey sort of list of things that I´ve seen/experienced.

I had all my skepticism about the actual sensuality of tango be blasted away when I saw a pair of dancers at a street market. Though it defies all rational process, it turns out that having a women in very slitty dress run her heel clad foot up your shin is the most sexual motion in the history of dance.

I have been briefly to the Recoleta, Buenos Aire´s famous and beautiful graveyard-city. It turned out to be closing just about as soon as I arrived, but I return tomorrow, so I should have some pictures and some hyperbole about what it was like.

I went on run today to go find the Rio de Plata, the world´s widest river. While that was a pretty cool sight in itself, a great foggy expanse of water with no perceptible end, it kind of paled in comparison to one of its riverside attractions, Tierra Santa.

Tierra Santa is, as I deciphered from the fancy Charleston Heston stone tablet doodad outside, is the world´s first religious theme park! From the outside, I could see a large fake mound with large probably fake crucified Jesus and two thieves atop it. There also appeared to be some Roman Centurions outside, keeping the peace and tearing tickets. I will report on this wonderful expression of Latin American religiosity as soon as I stop laughing long enough to buy a ticket.

Last night I embarked on a journey to navigate the subte (subway) system here and find the much lauded Club Thelonious (pronounced Cloob Tay-lohn-ee-ooss) hip jazz bar in a swanky neighborhood. I, after an arduous search, found the city´s Italian heritage in the form of music and some seriously serious making out I witnessed taking place on the couches.

Speaking of public transit, I have successfully bungled my way through the city´s system of buses. That #### is hard. Anyone coming to BA (as the hip guidebooks refer to it) should definitely see if they can acquire lots of change in advance, as a weird twist of economy and public transit has made coins rather scarce here and nobody likes to part with them.

Anyway, maybe next post will have some general observations about Buenos Aires or what I´ve done lately, its all pretty exciting.

And yes mom, I do have a cell phone.

Nathan

Comments

ruth said…
I am more interested in the "failure of the most publicly embarrassing kind"...
SheilaE said…
Is it Argentine Cell phone or did you find your Centro?
NO KIDDING, let's hear about your publicly embarrassing failures!

PS you are still funny, good to know:)

Popular posts from this blog

News Flash!

This is Nathan Lane, your funky-fresh maniacal-magical plane-hopping, jaw-dropping world-traveler extraordinaire servin' it to you fresh from the high-rises of Buenos Aires. This just in from the scene, cats. The good people of this fair land have taken to the balconies, banging pots and pans to air some political sentiment, taken the fight to the roofs, if you will. You heard me right. Argentina's cacerolazo has reared its ferrous head and breathed some fire into the political scene. In the midst of ongoing domestic agro-political crisis, an important vote was on the precipice of stalling when the people took up a fashionable tradition and stood on their balconies and banged pots and pans. The fence-sitting senator quickly decided voted in favor of the legislation. The most famous of these cacerolazos ended in the resignation of the then-president, so take it seriously, friends. I don't wanna give the impression that the country is in revolt around me, but there are gathe

New Family Member

This is my berimbau.

New Accomoda-

Well, this will be a weirdly and stunted update. I came to this the ISA office today specifically to write this post with a flash drive (known here as a pen drive for reasons I can not fathom, could be because flashearse means to blow one´s mind) that was supposed to be full of pictures of my new dwelling. As you may have guessed from my use of supposed, my flash drive is not full as I´d hoped. It contains no pictures of my new pad, and instead a picture of my role model for my next haircut. Feast your eyes, ladies and gentleman, on the future of Nathan´s head: Yes, it is wondrous. Now, on to the titular theme. I was on the way here to talk about my change in home stay that I´d recently accomplished, I´ve moved to a house that is nicer and bigger and the food is way better. However, a strange coincidence came to pass. My old (not so good) host mother was in the office talking to Guillermo, the receiver of my complaints and liason for arranging other homestays. I made no special effort