Skip to main content

No Babies Pictured Here

I'm returned from Salta. A grueling twenty hour bus ride that began with my favorite element of the human world. Babies.

I'm sure most of my readers are familiar with my hatred for these larval humans, but in case there is a Nathan-novitiate out there, I will summarize:

Babies are fat, bald, poorly-proportioned sub-humans who have few basic functions which they accomplish with alarming efficiency. They eat, they shit, they grow, they cry, and they rob you of all time which you might have spent on improving yourself or the world around you. I cheered when my asshole 10th grade English teacher got a kid and I combat daily the biological clocks of people upon whom I don't wish a fate worse than death.

I am happy hating children and waiting for the day I am old enough to get a vasectomy. My spreading reputation prevents me from having much contact with them, but in Argentina, it seems, the fools are still reproducing. And worse yet, they are putting them on buses.

My bus. My 20-hour bus ride bus. The one where the seats are too short to support my head and there are little boxes that lesser humans can put their feet in for comfort. There were babies on this bus. Two of them. To my left. Directly.

One of these puffy maggot-creatures cried for two hours straight. That is one hundred and twenty minutes of unrelenting wailing. Oh, and here is a bit of culture shock. Apparently, the Spanish trilled R manifests itself early in the speech development of these little Argentines. That is to say for seven-thousand eight-hundred seconds, this baby made noise like rattlesnake trying to mate with a race car.

Horror of horrors, this thing had a sister. One capable of walking, falling and therefore distracting her incompetent mother from the one screaming child she already could not handle. Naturally, being an abomination, this creature would cry too, her relatively-developed vocal apparatus giving her the volume her squawking brood-mate could only aspire to.

Why, yes. Yes, the mother was 6-months pregnant with a third child. Of course she was, how could she have been anything else? Frankly, I was surprise that she didn't cast the stentorian mite from her lap to give birth to her third little wretch right then and there.

I maintained my sanity by imagining all the scenarios in which I could kill them and translating one-liners I could say to her or the other passengers:

Supongo que no podemos ponerlos con el equipaje.
-I suppose we can't put them with the suitcases.

No encajarán en el baño.
- They probably won't fit in the toilet.

Aca señora, ese deber ayudar.
[En ese momento, yo le doy una percha]

Oops, I forgot to translate that one.

Thank all creatures in existence that there was this women who sat behind me, whose singing was both pleasant and effective in silencing the unholy cacophony, infinitely better than the combined care of the actual mother and her gray-haired attendant.

I'm serious about the unholy bit. When that baby would scream and roll his R's, it sounded like he was possessed by a demon.

Naturally, the little blight ran out of energy just as he was getting off the bus. He slept peacefully on his mother's shoulder, pale eyelids covering the unseeing coals of his hell-gazers.

If ever again this happens to me, I will lock myself in the bathroom for the duration of the trip. The scent of the high-protein Argentine diet is a much cleaner way to die.

Baby Killer

Comments

I am glad to see you in your traditional Nathan-esque garb. As I am not much more impressed with squalling children than you are, I will leave you only with this comforting thought.

There is a population decline in the United States. :) COME BACK TO IT!

~Jessica
SheilaE said…
Fortunate for you that your parents did not have the same view of children that you do. Otherwise, we would not have been able to read your post-adolescent drivel and whining. :)

Bob from Sheila's PC
SheilaE said…
Carrying your distaste for babies and liking for short dark haired women to its logical extreme--in China many infant girls are put to death--so you could move there and then not need a vasectomy--or switch teams right here in the us of a.

your loving mom
Anonymous said…
I never realized your hatred of children.
But I see it and I understand.
I only like children in small doses, and only when I can give them to someone else when I am done liking them.
And no offense Nathan but you probably shouldn't procreate anyway.
That kid would be far too weird to function in society.

Popular posts from this blog

News Flash!

This is Nathan Lane, your funky-fresh maniacal-magical plane-hopping, jaw-dropping world-traveler extraordinaire servin' it to you fresh from the high-rises of Buenos Aires. This just in from the scene, cats. The good people of this fair land have taken to the balconies, banging pots and pans to air some political sentiment, taken the fight to the roofs, if you will. You heard me right. Argentina's cacerolazo has reared its ferrous head and breathed some fire into the political scene. In the midst of ongoing domestic agro-political crisis, an important vote was on the precipice of stalling when the people took up a fashionable tradition and stood on their balconies and banged pots and pans. The fence-sitting senator quickly decided voted in favor of the legislation. The most famous of these cacerolazos ended in the resignation of the then-president, so take it seriously, friends. I don't wanna give the impression that the country is in revolt around me, but there are gathe

New Family Member

This is my berimbau.

New Accomoda-

Well, this will be a weirdly and stunted update. I came to this the ISA office today specifically to write this post with a flash drive (known here as a pen drive for reasons I can not fathom, could be because flashearse means to blow one´s mind) that was supposed to be full of pictures of my new dwelling. As you may have guessed from my use of supposed, my flash drive is not full as I´d hoped. It contains no pictures of my new pad, and instead a picture of my role model for my next haircut. Feast your eyes, ladies and gentleman, on the future of Nathan´s head: Yes, it is wondrous. Now, on to the titular theme. I was on the way here to talk about my change in home stay that I´d recently accomplished, I´ve moved to a house that is nicer and bigger and the food is way better. However, a strange coincidence came to pass. My old (not so good) host mother was in the office talking to Guillermo, the receiver of my complaints and liason for arranging other homestays. I made no special effort