Skip to main content

People Like Pictures and Videogames

Well it's true. They do.

My food situation here leaves something to be desired. In a country known for its steak, wine and pasta, I still precious little of all three. I see pasta sometimes, but it is uniformly plain and re-heated via steam after its already been boiled. It's soggy, as I'm sure you can imagine.

Recently, I was served a dessert that encapsulated so well my dining experience here that when I saw it, I said to myself, I must take a picture of that.

I now present to you an exploration in two parts of what I eat routinely.


This is a dessert. Actually, it is a combination of two desserts that I am sometimes served on separate occasions. It appeared from my initial scan that the cake had been placed inside the bowl and then the jello was poured on top before both were placed in the fridge. This photo shows you the anti-gravitational property the desert had acquired as a result, as well as house-mate Naír's realization that I might think something was wrong with the food.

Sadly, I was unable to photograph the result of mixing the cake's porous yet enduring structure with a reinforcing bouncy semi-solid. Needless to say that I've notified the embassy here and I don't think we'll be hearing about any American soldiers being without armor plates in the future.

In other news I would like to share a happening with you. I play a really lowtech game to amuse myself in my downtime called Urban Dead. You play a zombie or human in a zombified city. The game itself is quite simple, an RPGish slow-placed browser game with about three different types of buttons to press. Attached to this simple game program itself is a highly sophisticated society of contributing users with an extensive wiki that chronicles their heroes, history, technological/gaming advances, etc. It can be quite overwhelming for a beginner.

This background is actually irrelevant, I just wanted to prep you a little for this excerpt from todays play:

  • Half and Half shot you with a shotgun for 10 damage. (3 days ago) ...and again.
  • Half and Half shot you with a pistol for 5 damage. (3 days ago) ...and again. ...and again. ...and again.
  • Half and Half extracted a DNA sample from you. (3 days ago)
  • Half and Half shot you with a pistol for 5 damage. (3 days ago)
  • Half and Half said "Sorry about killing you. But I do not have the headshot skill. Still 10 APs to stand is a bitch. Get with a zombie horde/gang, Ck the Wiki. Button below the city map. Also don't sleep inside. Might get killed..." (3 days ago)
  • Half and Half shot you with a pistol for 5 damage. (3 days ago)
  • You were killed by Half and Half. (3 days ago)
  • Half and Half dumped your body out onto the street.
Sometimes, unlife is like that.

Comments

SheilaE said…
who is housemate nair?
eat out on weekends. Eat good stuff. you are too skinny!
Anonymous said…
I didn't finish reading about the video game because I was too anxious to tell you that jello cake is delicious you fool!
Bigfoot said…
Cora. Silence. I do not share your white trash palette. I dine only on the finest meats, cheeses and tiramisu.
leave Cora alone. At least she won't starve in foreign countries. Besides maybe you'd get better food if you ate out sometimes...

Popular posts from this blog

News Flash!

This is Nathan Lane, your funky-fresh maniacal-magical plane-hopping, jaw-dropping world-traveler extraordinaire servin' it to you fresh from the high-rises of Buenos Aires. This just in from the scene, cats. The good people of this fair land have taken to the balconies, banging pots and pans to air some political sentiment, taken the fight to the roofs, if you will. You heard me right. Argentina's cacerolazo has reared its ferrous head and breathed some fire into the political scene. In the midst of ongoing domestic agro-political crisis, an important vote was on the precipice of stalling when the people took up a fashionable tradition and stood on their balconies and banged pots and pans. The fence-sitting senator quickly decided voted in favor of the legislation. The most famous of these cacerolazos ended in the resignation of the then-president, so take it seriously, friends. I don't wanna give the impression that the country is in revolt around me, but there are gathe

New Family Member

This is my berimbau.

Cumbia Villera Part I

Hey Kiddies, I’m back, connecting local pizzeria el continental, which I’m told is a pizzeria buena buena buena. I’ve ordered a pizza fugazzetta rellena con queso cremoso, two pieces of fainá and a glass of moscato, a sweet wine which usually accompanies such things. There’ve been some major changes in my life. I cut my hair, for instance. I got a mullet. Soon this will be a dread mullet. I think that you’ve all had sufficient warning. It will be a dreadmullet, once I’ve accumulated the sufficient length. I’m almost done with all my papers and finals and crap, meaning that here comes the part of supplying my own diversion in or out of Buenos Aires. I’m planning on mostly out. The only thing keeping me in town is my bands performances on Sundays of every week. I’ve had better luck with las chicas outside of town anyway. I guess my reputation gets around. ;-) And finally, the achievement of the hour, my first ridiculous story accumulated in Spanish and told in Spanish. It’s a little some