Skip to main content

Chillaxin' with Unos Pibes Bárbaros


Pibe - kid; a young person

Bárbaro - Literally barbaric; cool, fantastic

My friends are cool, ¿eh?

Last sunday I received one iteration of a group text message that said "We rehearse at 4. As a price, asado. "Tirada de goma" for dessert.ee

I consulted a taxi driver for the definition of the last term, which appeared to be past participle of the word throw (tirar) and the word for rubber. It seemed to me that it might be a delicious gelatin snack. I confirmed this with the taxi driver I was riding with at the time.

As it turns out, its an argentismo for blowjob. It appeared that my friends were being funny.

Little did I know I at this time, the sender of the text message was being berated viciously for sending me a text message that I was unlikely to understand on various level. Solutions were hatched.

I contemplated a response tranquilly. Searching through my relatively modest Spanish armoury, I select "Your mother will be coming, then" and hit the send button.

As put by the girlfriend of Maykel, "here we all were, worried that Nahtan (pronounced that way) wasn{t gonna get. He´s not gonna get it, he´s not gonna get it and bam, we got a response more Argentine than anyone else."

I felt pretty awesome at that point.

Anyway, there was rehearsal.

And then there was MEAT!

Worry not, all, I paid as much attention to the cooking as humanly possible and I assure you that its pretty much inexplicable as to why this shit tastes so good. I figure its the meat.

Briefly, salt large metal plate. (2 feet by 3 feet) throw raw meat on plate. Set apparently homemade grill on top of home made three sided brick structure, build fire, use wood/carbon as charcoal, set meat on home made grill, press pieces of calabaza and garlic on meat, set same metal plate on top of cooking meat, remove large metal plate, set meat on large metal plate, eat , reflect that between the chaotic BsAs nightline, the five people eating hunks of bloody meat off of the same piece of metal with huge ass knives make for a vaguely post-acopalyptic scene.

Also, the above bell-shaped item is a calabaza, or squash, filled with cheese. Mmm...

Also, that guy is not me.

To post in the future, video´s of Nico, my hair role model, speaking English and the sense of revelry that there was.

Today, I am in Tandil. A city in the province of buenos aires. I will report when I have something to report.

Nathan the Intrepid

Comments

Anonymous said…
Bitch sounds like you are having too much fun in Argentina.
Come back to boring Wisconsin! :p
I sent you a postcard! YOu have to tell me when you get it! I really want to tell you what is on the post card but that will ruin the surprise!

PS, excellent. Excellent excellent excellent on the joke reciprocation! I'm so proud of you!

this is so strange.
SheilaE said…
Did you ever get the cookies I sent you? Please let me know.
Good job on vocab Good to know you can trash talk in two languages:)
ruth said…
In the NY Times, Michael Pollan wrote recently on Argentine beef-- perhaps this is why it tastes so much better:
"There, in a geography roughly comparable to that of the American farm belt, farmers have traditionally employed an ingenious eight-year rotation of perennial pasture and annual crops: after five years grazing cattle on pasture (and producing the world’s best beef), farmers can then grow three years of grain without applying any fossil-fuel fertilizer. Or, for that matter, many pesticides: the weeds that afflict pasture can’t survive the years of tillage, and the weeds of row crops don’t survive the years of grazing, making herbicides all but unnecessary."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/12/magazine/12policy-t.html?partner=permalink&exprod=permalink
Bigfoot said…
I am sad no one has made comment on my fly photo taking abilities.

I am back. I am feeling posty. Will do so after I finish getting back.
Anonymous said…
They were talking and doing Capeoria on Desperate Housewives last night.
I think your dino dance is becoming the next American fad.

Popular posts from this blog

News Flash!

This is Nathan Lane, your funky-fresh maniacal-magical plane-hopping, jaw-dropping world-traveler extraordinaire servin' it to you fresh from the high-rises of Buenos Aires. This just in from the scene, cats. The good people of this fair land have taken to the balconies, banging pots and pans to air some political sentiment, taken the fight to the roofs, if you will. You heard me right. Argentina's cacerolazo has reared its ferrous head and breathed some fire into the political scene. In the midst of ongoing domestic agro-political crisis, an important vote was on the precipice of stalling when the people took up a fashionable tradition and stood on their balconies and banged pots and pans. The fence-sitting senator quickly decided voted in favor of the legislation. The most famous of these cacerolazos ended in the resignation of the then-president, so take it seriously, friends. I don't wanna give the impression that the country is in revolt around me, but there are gathe

New Family Member

This is my berimbau.

Cumbia Villera Part I

Hey Kiddies, I’m back, connecting local pizzeria el continental, which I’m told is a pizzeria buena buena buena. I’ve ordered a pizza fugazzetta rellena con queso cremoso, two pieces of fainá and a glass of moscato, a sweet wine which usually accompanies such things. There’ve been some major changes in my life. I cut my hair, for instance. I got a mullet. Soon this will be a dread mullet. I think that you’ve all had sufficient warning. It will be a dreadmullet, once I’ve accumulated the sufficient length. I’m almost done with all my papers and finals and crap, meaning that here comes the part of supplying my own diversion in or out of Buenos Aires. I’m planning on mostly out. The only thing keeping me in town is my bands performances on Sundays of every week. I’ve had better luck with las chicas outside of town anyway. I guess my reputation gets around. ;-) And finally, the achievement of the hour, my first ridiculous story accumulated in Spanish and told in Spanish. It’s a little some