Skip to main content

Palmer's

An interesting spread of days.

As we pick up the tale from the last leavings, we find myself having hung out with my female doppleganger and not having seen her dad's shop.

Later that night, MB and I go to see a friend's band perform at a nearby bar called Palmer's. This was slightly funny. I shall reprint a portion of some reviews of this Palmer's establishment:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Palmer's Bar
4 star rating
27 reviews Rating Details

Category: Dive Bars

Wandered into this awesome dive bar...

Palmer's is one of my favorite dive bars...

Seems like a place for junkies and lowlifes to go...

I was surprised to see the clientele switch gears at about 10:00 pm the last time I was here. It went from die hard locals to hipster college students...

If you're looking for an unpretentious, awesome, eclectic dive bar...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like just like to offer a view thoughts on the nature of the dive bar.

1. Let's just recall that a "dive" is shitty place. I don't mean to pass judgment on Palmer's, or indeed, the dive bar phenomenon itself, but if a place is a dive, that means nothing more than it is a dirty, ill-lit, possibly cheap place. Therefore, the phrase "an awesome dive X" is illogical on the first glance.

I suppose it could mean that X (in this case bar) is awesome in its efforts to be shitty, but something about the notion doesn't sit well with me. The third excerpt seems to accurately describe a dive. What's surprising is that this person gave Palmer's a one star rating! I'm sorry sir, this place is clearly Category: Dive Bar! If it didn't have junkies and lowlifes in it, it couldn't qualify for that! And yet...

2. I direct your attention to the fourth excerpt regarding the switching of gears. At 10, the hipsters roll in. Here, perhaps is the reason that this person gave it a low rating. He is dissatisfied with the presence of lowlifes, here's my theory. Hipsters want to go to a dive, but they don't want an actual dive experience. They want to go a place that looks like an actual dive, that will give them the impression of being in a poor man's bar without having to encounter actual dive denizens (lowlifes).

What's so attractive to hipsters about dive bars? I think the last comment is telling. It's their lack of pretension. But what the fuck does this really mean? Pretension for dictionary means "laying claim to something". Ladies and Gentleman, I submit to you that Palmer's lays claim to being a dive bar, but in fact is not, because no dive bar would sell PBR at three dollars a pop and on special at that!

What the hipsters are looking for here is just bulletproof pretension protection. By going to bar that has the occasional crackhead and lowlife and unmopped floors, hipsters are trying to assure themselves that they are "real."

Hipsters, chill the fuck out. It's okay to be interested in "pretentious" "not real" things. Read your beatnik literature and wear your silly fashions. We love you anyway. Lose the pretension of unpretensiousness. Falling for Palmer's unpretensious veneer is only setting you up to fall for the "authenticity" pretension when you take your kids to some sort of Mayan exploration tour in Mexico 20 years from now.

Go find some real crackheads, hipsters, or get out of the kitchen.

Comments

Jess said…
I love your hate of hipsters.

:D
Bigfoot said…
For the record, I do like hipsters more than most identifiable groups, they could just be improved a little.

Popular posts from this blog

News Flash!

This is Nathan Lane, your funky-fresh maniacal-magical plane-hopping, jaw-dropping world-traveler extraordinaire servin' it to you fresh from the high-rises of Buenos Aires. This just in from the scene, cats. The good people of this fair land have taken to the balconies, banging pots and pans to air some political sentiment, taken the fight to the roofs, if you will. You heard me right. Argentina's cacerolazo has reared its ferrous head and breathed some fire into the political scene. In the midst of ongoing domestic agro-political crisis, an important vote was on the precipice of stalling when the people took up a fashionable tradition and stood on their balconies and banged pots and pans. The fence-sitting senator quickly decided voted in favor of the legislation. The most famous of these cacerolazos ended in the resignation of the then-president, so take it seriously, friends. I don't wanna give the impression that the country is in revolt around me, but there are gathe

New Family Member

This is my berimbau.

Regarding My Sobriquet, Yanki and Associated Questions of Geography

"To a foreigner, a Yankee is an American. To an American, a Yankee is a Northerner. To a Northerner, a Yankee is a New Englander. To a New Englander, a Yankee is a Vermonter. To a Vermonter, a Yankee is someone who still has an outhouse." Everyone in a spanish speaking country has a nickname. Un apodo. So it seems, anyway. Mine is yankee. Except written yanki and pronounced shan-kee, due to the eccentricities of pronunciation here around the Rio Plata. Many people believe that this word is "despectiva" which I take to mean disrespectful. I tell them that it´s not and that the only time I´ve ever heard the word was mainly in the song Yankee Doodle, which does not cause me a feeling of disrespectedness, to say the least. Then I realized I´ve never really been to the South and I found this quote, which I assume to be something in general usage.  As a guy from the midwest, I said to myself self, huh, well I guess the word can refer to me. Now I realize that