Skip to main content

Peruvians

So, I've been in Jersey for some time now. I'm doing the leg of my trip where I go visit my mom's arm of the country and I go back and forth between her residence in Clinton, NJ, her place of work in Allentown, PA and whatever adventure may be had in those parts.

I'll talk a little more about Allentown once I have some real adventure there. If you can't wait, check out another post on this blog, here:

This weekend, I was afforded the opportunity to go New York and make the acquaintance of the Gabriel Alegria Afro-Peruvian Jazz Sextet via seeing them play in their club on Friday and then, on Saturday morning, go with them on a trip to the Litchfield jazz festival in Connecticut.

This, seems like a pretty slick plan, and credit where its due, thanks mom, for putting that one together.

Howwwwwever, there was a little glitch. You see, I was supposed to go hear them play in NYC Friday at 8 in Tutuma, their club, and then Saturday at 7:30 AM, at that club, I would join them on their bus.

Problem being what to do between 8 pm and 7:30 am. Ideally, I would get a lodging somewhere cheap and in the area. However, the swanky jazz club is of course located in a nice part of Manhattan, meaning that there is nowhere cheap nearby at all. And even willing to travel a great distance, cheap places were often straight impossible; it is New York in the summer, the few hostel environments (ahyuck)were certainly probably checked out.

I mean, if they weren't normally, they certainly were when I decided to start wondering where I would stay around 5:00 pm on the way to the club to hear the band.

And of course, I pretty much needed to be in Manhattan so that I could actually make it to the club in the morning. And forget crashing at a friends place, who on earth would I know, So, I'm in a pretty tight spot.

But then, epiphany strikes me like me a girlish slap to the face. I remembered that one of my friends had recently moved to New York and, my some whimsy of a humor-loving god, in Manhattan.

The good lord does smile upon me and I may stay in her gentrified harlem lodging.

Which is some 80 blocks from the place I need to be at 7:30 in the morning, but hey, at least I'm in the borough.

PAUSE

Okay, some shit has has happened between this post and my present, therefore I must give you a truncated edition cause we all need to move on with our lives.

Suffice to say, despite my bonehead move, going to New York without a place to stay, and the fact that I was supposed to spend 7:30 am to 12:30 am with some reputedly hard-drinking Peruvians at the Litchfield Jazz Festival, I had a great time.

I met a dude named Huevito (literally "Eggy") who could make the most sweet music by banging on a box. That's the short story anyway. Despite seeming like a wild-man intuitive musician, he could stop carrying on like a hyper eight year old long enough to shoot off about the Andalucian roots of a particularly variety of Peruvian
tap dance.

And blah blah, my brother's going to India, I'm gonna hang out.

Peace

Comments

Unknown said…
You know Bridget lives in NY now. And you had to have known atleast one posse member. really Nathan.

Popular posts from this blog

News Flash!

This is Nathan Lane, your funky-fresh maniacal-magical plane-hopping, jaw-dropping world-traveler extraordinaire servin' it to you fresh from the high-rises of Buenos Aires. This just in from the scene, cats. The good people of this fair land have taken to the balconies, banging pots and pans to air some political sentiment, taken the fight to the roofs, if you will. You heard me right. Argentina's cacerolazo has reared its ferrous head and breathed some fire into the political scene. In the midst of ongoing domestic agro-political crisis, an important vote was on the precipice of stalling when the people took up a fashionable tradition and stood on their balconies and banged pots and pans. The fence-sitting senator quickly decided voted in favor of the legislation. The most famous of these cacerolazos ended in the resignation of the then-president, so take it seriously, friends. I don't wanna give the impression that the country is in revolt around me, but there are gathe

New Accomoda-

Well, this will be a weirdly and stunted update. I came to this the ISA office today specifically to write this post with a flash drive (known here as a pen drive for reasons I can not fathom, could be because flashearse means to blow one´s mind) that was supposed to be full of pictures of my new dwelling. As you may have guessed from my use of supposed, my flash drive is not full as I´d hoped. It contains no pictures of my new pad, and instead a picture of my role model for my next haircut. Feast your eyes, ladies and gentleman, on the future of Nathan´s head: Yes, it is wondrous. Now, on to the titular theme. I was on the way here to talk about my change in home stay that I´d recently accomplished, I´ve moved to a house that is nicer and bigger and the food is way better. However, a strange coincidence came to pass. My old (not so good) host mother was in the office talking to Guillermo, the receiver of my complaints and liason for arranging other homestays. I made no special effort

New Family Member

This is my berimbau.