Skip to main content

A Damn Good Day

I rode the 65 back to my place with a smile. I was full of good pizza, melodies and memories.

I arrived at Maykel´s place an hour even later than the hour late time I was supposed to arrive. Rehearsal started at 7, my class ended at seven. It takes an hour on bus to get to his neighborhood. Apparently, it takes an hour to walk back from school, grab my trombone, maintain my relationship with the doorman and find a collectivo.

I navigated the crowd on the collectivo with no small bit of skill, snagging a corner to secure my trombone and a wall to lean myself against. I watched as guitarists darted artfully through the crowd with their lighter, infinitely more popular instrument strapped to their back. The man with the trombone stares down the irritation that the human-sized space of his instrument generates.

After much direction-peddling and street sign-searching, I get off the bus and ubicated, as they say here. I found my way through Boedo, Maykel´s neighboorhood. I´d been once before. By day, it was a beautiful quiet neighborhood, where kids play soccer in the streets, using streetsigns as goal post. By night, it was quietely menacing, like all of Buenos Aires. Still, the pair of women I asked for directions maintained the neighborhood´s onda. They were almost as new to the neighboorhood as I was. They thought I was heading in the right direction. Probably.

Then a guy with long hair, dark skin and a hat walked lazily down the sidewalk in my direction, swinging something. Had Boedo betrayed me? No. It was Maykel with his keys on a lanyard. He´d come to get me. Good guy, Maykel.

I was back in his apartment, the same one I´d visited on the weekend to learn the wind parts for Sudaka Roots, my reggae band. It was as friendly by day as it was by night. He took me upstairs to the salita. There were two more. Nico, on the bass wearing a green and yellow track jacket and sporting the most righteous dreadlock-mullet I´d seen yet and Julian wild-eyed and bearded guitarists. The smoke in the air confirmed the Rastafarian nature of the event.

Maykel explained that he cleared with the other guys in the band and it was cool and I could play with them. Then he said something else that didn´t swim beyond the language barrier. Something about a test, that either this was or it wasn´t.

And then they started to play. Maykel played tortured-broken beats on the set while he sang in harmony with the other two. He sang me lines to play and I picked them up, quick as I could. I fumbled a few times with it before I got the hang of it, but soon we were rockin´ in rhythm.

The song was wild and hilarious, it helped me to feel at ease. It went from cool reggae to waltz to ska-tempo. It had as many breaks as it did for acappella harmony as it did for a coordinated scream from the players. It really made me wish that I understood the lyrics.

Afterwood Nico told me that when Maykel or other wind players came to play, it always amazed him to see how quickly we could pick up the parts. It cost him to learn them, he said. Apparently I had performed above the standard which was expected of the bassist and guitarists by any rate.

We played more, and it was heaven. Maykel´s songs were good. His melodies were harmonized and his compositions thoughtful. His lyrics were righteous, badass. I got a reading later. Something about the Lion stalking those who repress and hide the truth and to live is to create and leave something behind. It was also in D harmonic minor. I can´t resist D harmonic minor.

We had a fucking blast. They joked and kidded around, and though I struggled to keep up. I got maybe half of the jokes. Jokes are hard, that´s pretty good. Nico told me he learned the English he knows from watching movies. Julian said it was because he was too stupid to read the subtitles. I pointed out that Nico had the dreadmullet becuase he was growing the only part of his hair that he could grow in full.

After rehearsal, Nico had to go to play soccer. Julian, Maykel and I reconvened downstairs. Out of the rehearsal, I again felt the discomfort of being in a situation without a focus and without a language to get me by.

We walked downstairs, where Julian indicated a red scrap of clothing in the middle of the floor. Maykel picked it up and took it into another room. Julian continued pointing out bits of clothing and Maykel scooped them into his arms. I detected an air of attempted seriousness and dignity, but when Maykel was full to his shoulders of clothing, they both laughed and I smiled the smile of a joke witnessed, but not understood.

Maykel noticed when he returned from depositing the clothing and tried to explain to me. I was understanding the words he was saying, but not the sense. Finally, he told me.

¨We use the word "mañanero" he said.
"And what does that mean" I asked.

What followed was more of the same quasi-comprehension until finally, he made a familiar dragging-onself-about-by-the-tie gesture and said.

"It means to fuck in the morning"

We chilled, he played me music, lamented the necessity of fighting for the opporunity of playing music in Buenos Aires and further educated me in slang.

"You will have a good education in slang with the negro here" remarked his girlfriend later when she arrived.

They asked me what I thought about pizza here and I said that I wasn´t totally sold. The answer was then to buy some pizza to re-educate me. I protested that I didn´t even have one mango (peso) and they told me that they wouldn´t accept it anyway.

I ate pizza that was finally strange, unusual and delicous. And I was full and happy. We sat and chatted and joked. Talked about what was wrong and right in the world.

When the pizza was done, Julian got ready to leave and so did I. We walked to the door, where Celeste, the girlfriend, confirmed that I knew where the bus was. We all kissed, I thanked them graciously and left.

I walked through the cold and still Boedo night, taking pleasure in the company of the cats that I shared the sidewalk with and arrived at my near-empty collectivo, the 65. I grabbed a seat for myself and my trombone, leaned back to make room for the pizza in my belly and started to hum.

Comments

ruth said…
What a lovely evening and telling of it, little brother.

Please start the process to vote this fall: http://www.democratsabroad.org/
ruth said…
I meant to send you this link: http://www.votefromabroad.org/?adid=KDAW9990001071701
very thoughtful. Much more indepth than some of your posts. That I greatly enjoyed.

I like that the beginning starts with the ending. It's an interesting technique and you pull it off well.

Of course you were late, silly boy! I'm glad to read it, though. Much characterization applauded!

I'm so glad you're getting to play for fun, and not for anything related to anything conservatory like. I think that is my favorite part of Argentina so far=) Also the pizza sounds okay...

Dude, they're speaking Spanish and you're understanding the jokes! You're getting there, totally. Also you still have three more months! You're going to kick my ass when you get home. Not that you couldn't already. But seriousyl. We are having Spanish-conversation evenings spring term. If I can't figure out the word in my head, we look it up or you tell me. Sounds good? Okay good.

I guess I stilld ont' understand the fuck in the morning joke. Is it because I'm homeschooled?

Okay, so ask that dude's girlfriend about girls. Seriously, friends' girlfriends are awesome for that shit.

I miss you kiddo. I went to the swing house basement tonight and it seemed to empty without your Wii and Gustavo in it.

read my note on facebook!
SheilaE said…
what a great writer you are.
Please respond to my email at scazblat...
Brother Matt goes to school tomorrow.
Feel free to call me anytime. Except during LaBoheme which I'm attending for the 3rd time tomrrow night.

Mom
PS> VOTE. Sarah Palin is #$!@#@#! Crazy
chocolatemoose said…
I'm glad to hear you're getting into the music scene there, and it sounds like you're loving it.
Yesterday I picked up a program for jazz concerts here in avignon. I intend on going to several of them, but I'm sad that you can't go with me! I'll let you know if any of them are good.
Anonymous said…
Do you know what day it is?
Tuesday September 23rd.
Meaning tomorrow will be a week, A WHOLE WEEK, since you have updated.
Update biotch.
Also...
When you write things like and we all kissed I get thoughts in my head that would lead me to believe you did not in fact put up much fuss over going to the gay club.
just saying.

Popular posts from this blog

News Flash!

This is Nathan Lane, your funky-fresh maniacal-magical plane-hopping, jaw-dropping world-traveler extraordinaire servin' it to you fresh from the high-rises of Buenos Aires. This just in from the scene, cats. The good people of this fair land have taken to the balconies, banging pots and pans to air some political sentiment, taken the fight to the roofs, if you will. You heard me right. Argentina's cacerolazo has reared its ferrous head and breathed some fire into the political scene. In the midst of ongoing domestic agro-political crisis, an important vote was on the precipice of stalling when the people took up a fashionable tradition and stood on their balconies and banged pots and pans. The fence-sitting senator quickly decided voted in favor of the legislation. The most famous of these cacerolazos ended in the resignation of the then-president, so take it seriously, friends. I don't wanna give the impression that the country is in revolt around me, but there are gathe

New Accomoda-

Well, this will be a weirdly and stunted update. I came to this the ISA office today specifically to write this post with a flash drive (known here as a pen drive for reasons I can not fathom, could be because flashearse means to blow one´s mind) that was supposed to be full of pictures of my new dwelling. As you may have guessed from my use of supposed, my flash drive is not full as I´d hoped. It contains no pictures of my new pad, and instead a picture of my role model for my next haircut. Feast your eyes, ladies and gentleman, on the future of Nathan´s head: Yes, it is wondrous. Now, on to the titular theme. I was on the way here to talk about my change in home stay that I´d recently accomplished, I´ve moved to a house that is nicer and bigger and the food is way better. However, a strange coincidence came to pass. My old (not so good) host mother was in the office talking to Guillermo, the receiver of my complaints and liason for arranging other homestays. I made no special effort

New Family Member

This is my berimbau.