Skip to main content

The Gig

The Concert has come and gone!

Total success, ladies and gentleman I'd like to thank you all for your hard work.

As you may know, the reggae band which I found with the sweat of my brow and natural good looks and talent, had their first concert with yours truly. Ironically located in the bar in which I first saw them. It was a symbolic revisit and triumph.

Only two months ago I went to this bar with passing friend Paul McGuire where we navigated the new (to us) social dynamic of a bar. We lucked out and spotted someone we knew and sat with them and I thanked the lord that Paul was not as fond of the portenho habit of selling beer by the liter as everyone else I knew.

We sat there sucking on our cervezas chicas and attempted conversation in the whirlwind of bar noise. We failed at that and I even managed to spill a large glass of beer on Paul that I offered to get him in return for the glass of the bilgy joy juice known as Quilmes that he gave me. Miraculously, a girl there asked for my number (imagine my confusion) but as if to top off the night, I lost it a little while later when my phone was stolen on my way to Salta.

We did, however, notice that the band was kicking.

But all that is in the past. In my triumphant return, I no longer sit with the groundlings, taking in the sonic awe that is Sudaka Roots. I am a Root of Sudaka!

The collusion of the schedules of an Argentine and a musician are pretty vicious. Add a Brazilian being charge of the whole thing and what you get is a show that's supposed to start at 11 on a Sunday night that actually get started around 12:30 on what is technically Monday morning, a day when Nathan has class at 8.

Begin the photos!



As you can see, I'm rocking my Japanese-knickers and european shirt. I am teh international. Also pictures is our Brazilian singer and hatted quasi-chileno argentino. We are doing a little pre-show meditation. Actually, this turned out to be the spontaneous group response to a surprise element in the show. Our paraguayo auxiliary percussionist took it upon himself to pepper our playing with weird ambient sounds from his laptop. If this was mentioned to me or in front of me, it hit the language barrier like a fly on a windshield. Consequently, I missed my entrance. And also, the ambient noise was in a different key than the melody. Whaddup wit dat?

Here be a more full on shot of the band. I hope that no one missed the mind-breaking, culture swapping travesty that is Mario's T-shirt. Mario likes Rage Against the Machine, Immortal Technique and anyone else that claims to represent an oppressed portion of the population. I think that this may be the reasoning behind Mario's selection of an scowling Native North American, although his heritage is primarily African or South American Native. In any case, Mario's blatant disregard for the boundaries of race, geography and culture has emboldened me to adopt dreadlocks. More on this at a later date.

The crowd! I felt like a fucking rock star. They danced, the sang along, they came in great number! Of course, virtually everyone in the forefront of this picture is one of Mario's capoeira students, but hey! Who's counting? And some friends of mine were there too. Picture's courtesy of Swedish camerawoman Klara.

Also, as my father might make comment, my host brother Jos'e came to see the show and as we were setting up, he mentioned to me, look at all the huesitos! Huesito, from the word hueso, means little bones, and actually refers to hot chicks. This word's environment tends to be the kind in which there are no females within earshot so I think it maybe has some sort of like dripping, juicy meat connonation.
And for the close, we sang a Bob Marley song and invited everyone in the club up to sing and dance and to play instruments if they got 'em. A few obliged. The huesitos in this picture would be Mario's attractive girlfriend on the right, and sexy-six pack girl from my capoeira class on the left. As you can see, a show of much more success than I ever accomplished in the US. Trombonists, Buenos Aires loves you.

And when we are done, are we ever done? No. The show finished at around 3 and what does the Porteno do at three oclock in the morning? Sleep? Swear and catch a bus home trying to get in a few hours of rest before the morning comes and makes him pay for his temporal nonchalance?

No. We get pizza.

Sadly, we failed in finding a pizza joint in the neighborhood and were all set up to go a far away barrio that might have acceptable pizza.

Luckily, I thought, the guitarist called off the search and offered a jam session at his house. I accepted instanteously. I am now the graduate of my first 4 oclock in the morning jam session.

And of course, his house was farther away than the original far away pizza barrio.

But it was worth it. Between two guitars, some bongos and a bottle of wine (no glasses) music was made. And it was truly unique. Its not every day that you can sit on a guy's couch in Buenos Aires under scrawlfitti on a wall that says something like "One must live the life of rock and roll forever". They played folklore and tango and even plucked a few blues so I could play along.

I got home at 5:30. I did not go to class at eight. Or eleven.


PS. a video dark somewhat useless of the 31 seconds of the show. Enjoy!

Comments

OH! Nathan! I'm so proud of you:)

Also your grammar sucks.

Also huesitos? I swear I've heard that word before. Great. Great. Who knows, though? maybe I'm imagining it and it's only an Argentinian spanish thing. Huh.

Oh goody. So that hot girl with the six-pack. Have you hit on her yet? Remember the famed Nathan Lane fanclub? Maybe I need to send you that hat or something.

Much happy thoughts to hear about the success of your gig. I hope you don't get into too much trouble with the whole missing class thing. Remember: every class you miss is $200 down the drain. and if you go to the bathroom, then it's ten dollars to miss those two minutes. Or something to that effect.
SheilaE said…
Nathan you called your sister on her birthday! That is great! congrats!
I want to hear about your new housing arrangement and food. Also--great pics.keep them coming.

Your m om!
Anonymous said…
I tried to leave a comment when I first read this a few days ago but something was fucked up.
anyways I wanted to say congrats and other things but I don't remember what now.
Also I came here because your facebook status led me to believe you had a new post....yea i dont see one.
So fix that biiiiitch.

Popular posts from this blog

News Flash!

This is Nathan Lane, your funky-fresh maniacal-magical plane-hopping, jaw-dropping world-traveler extraordinaire servin' it to you fresh from the high-rises of Buenos Aires. This just in from the scene, cats. The good people of this fair land have taken to the balconies, banging pots and pans to air some political sentiment, taken the fight to the roofs, if you will. You heard me right. Argentina's cacerolazo has reared its ferrous head and breathed some fire into the political scene. In the midst of ongoing domestic agro-political crisis, an important vote was on the precipice of stalling when the people took up a fashionable tradition and stood on their balconies and banged pots and pans. The fence-sitting senator quickly decided voted in favor of the legislation. The most famous of these cacerolazos ended in the resignation of the then-president, so take it seriously, friends. I don't wanna give the impression that the country is in revolt around me, but there are gathe

New Family Member

This is my berimbau.

Regarding My Sobriquet, Yanki and Associated Questions of Geography

"To a foreigner, a Yankee is an American. To an American, a Yankee is a Northerner. To a Northerner, a Yankee is a New Englander. To a New Englander, a Yankee is a Vermonter. To a Vermonter, a Yankee is someone who still has an outhouse." Everyone in a spanish speaking country has a nickname. Un apodo. So it seems, anyway. Mine is yankee. Except written yanki and pronounced shan-kee, due to the eccentricities of pronunciation here around the Rio Plata. Many people believe that this word is "despectiva" which I take to mean disrespectful. I tell them that it´s not and that the only time I´ve ever heard the word was mainly in the song Yankee Doodle, which does not cause me a feeling of disrespectedness, to say the least. Then I realized I´ve never really been to the South and I found this quote, which I assume to be something in general usage.  As a guy from the midwest, I said to myself self, huh, well I guess the word can refer to me. Now I realize that